A switch is a component which controls the open-ness or closed-ness of an electric circuit. They allow control over current flow in a circuit (without having to actually get in there and manually cut or splice the wires). Switches are critical components in any circuit which requires user interaction or control.
- In the?off?state, a switch looks like an open gap in the circuit.
- This in effect, looks like an?open circuit, preventing current from flowing.
- In the on state, a switch acts just like a piece of perfectly-conducting wire.
- This closes the circuit, turning the system on
- Allowing current to flow unimpeded through the rest of the system.