This is a basic 20 character by 4 line display. Utilizes the extremely common HD44780 parallel interface chipset Interface code is freely available. You will need ~11 general I/O pins to interface to this LCD screen. Includes LED backlight.
- 20 characters wide, 4 rows
- White text on blue background
- Connection port is 0.1″ pitch, single row for easy breadboarding and wiring
- Single LED backlight with a resistor included, you can power it directly from 5V. If it’s too bright for you, it can be dimmed easily with a resistor or PWM and uses much less power than LCD with EL (electroluminescent) backlights
- Can be fully controlled with only 6 digital lines!
- Built in character set supports English/Japanese text, see the HD44780 datasheet for the full character set
- Up to 8 extra characters can be created for custom glyphs or ‘foreign’ language support (like special accents)